A Happy New Year and welcome back to another busy term at Rhydywaun. Years 11, 12 a 13 have returned to external examinations this January. With reference to examinations, Year 11 pupils recently received their Mathematics examination marks following the November entry. The continuous improvement in Mathematics allows us to predict the best ever results in the history of the school. They will resit in January and the results in March 2014 should reflect a further improvement.
There have been several academic and cultural successes in recent weeks:
• Morgan Powell, Head Boy, has been offered a place to study in Cambridge University from September 2014.
• Elin Kelly has accepted a scholarship with the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama
• Jac Thomas has been selected for the Youth National Welsh Brass Band.
Recent sporting achievements:
• Darrah Jones (Year 8) has represented Wales in Water Polo and has been selected for the British Development Squad.
• Angharad Kibble – chosen for the Newport Gwent Dragons U18 rugby team.
• Gwen Northall has recently returned from an U21 Judo competition in the Netherlands representing Wales.
• Sophie Evans – (Swimming) U16 Welsh Champion having won an 800 metre freestyle race under 9 minutes.
• Efan Davies recently returned from an U13 tour of Australia having represented Wales in cricket.
In addition to the above, 20 pupils will receive their Duke of Edinburgh Bronze and Silver Awards in March 2014. A Numeracy day for Year 9 pupils has been arranged for Friday January 24th 2014 and an Options Evening for Year 11 pupils considering returning to Rhydywaun (in September 2014) on Thursday January 30th 2014.
Banding: You will be aware of the recent Banding announcement from the Welsh Government in December 2013. Rhydywaun is now a Band 3 school and whole school strategies are in place for further and continuous improvement.